MARY BURKETT OBE
Our next Antiques & Fine Art Sale will include the personal estate of the late Mary Burkett OBE, formerly of Isel Hall.
To view the catalogue for this sale please click on the “View Current Catalogue” icon
Please note – Lots marked with an asterisk are from the estate of the Late Mary Burkett OBE
Hans Coper (1920-1981), “Cycladic bud pot”, ovoid cup form with side horns, integral brown glazed ceramic square base, impressed “HC”. Height 19 cm – Estimate £7,000-10,000
The sale will take place on Thursday 3rd and Friday 4th September at 10.00 am each day and will include several hundred lots of Mary’s personal effects including a substantial art collection comprising “painted letters” by Percy Kelly, studio pottery by internationally renowned makers Lucie Rie, Hans Coper and Siesbye, artworks by Kurt Schwitters, a pencil drawing of Jemima Puddle-Duck by Beatrix Potter, letters to Mary from Stalin’s daughter “Lana Peters” and numerous artworks in felt on which Mary was a world authority.
The proceeds of the sale will be dealt with under the terms of Mary’s will which includes a number of local charities as residuary beneficiaries.
Percy Kelly (1918-1993), one from 140 illustrated letters from Percy Kelly to Mary Burkett which formed the basis for Mary’s book “Dear Mary, Love Percy – A Creative Thread” edited by David A. Cross 2011. Estimates from £100-500
As well as the opportunity to view the sale in person, a fully illustrated online catalogue will be available from Friday 21st August. Those unable to attend the sale may either leave confidential bids in advance by commission, bid by telephone by prior arrangement or bid online during the sale by registering at www.the-saleroom.com.
Sunday 30th August – 11.00 am – 3.00 pm
Monday 31st August – 10.00 am - 5.00 pm
Tuesday 1st September – 10.00 am - 5.00 pm
Wednesday 2nd September – 10.00 am - 7.00 pm
Also throughout each sale day
Lucie Rie (1902-1995), a porcelain trumpet bowl, circa 1983, turquoise glaze and metallic border band, impressed “LR” monogram. Diameter 20.3 cm. Estimate £6,000-9,000
Welcome to Mitchells of Cockermouth in the Lake District.
To view the results of our any of our past sales please select “View Catalogues/Archive”
We are recognised as Cumbria’s leading Antiques & Fine Art saleroom
- We are the only members of the prestigious “Society of Fine Art Auctioneers and Valuers” (SOFAA) in Cumbria
- We hold world record prices for Cumbrian Artists such as Sheila Fell, Edward H. Thompson and Donald A. Patron
- We are noted for the exceptional quality of our photographic illustration which is amongst the best in the country
- We reach the widest possible global market by using the internet to distribute our sales catalogues internationally
- We have one of the most traditional and atmospheric auction rings in the country
- We are located on the fringe of the Lake District in the attractive Georgian market town of Cockermouth where Wordsworth was born
- Our clients tells us we provide excellent customer service and are one of the most friendly, helpful and efficient salerooms in the country :-
“I want to compliment you on your packing people, you could have put a dozen eggs in with the pictures and they would have all made the transatlantic trip intact. Once again, thanks for keeping the pictures for me for so long.”
M.M, Texas, USA
“Excellent service is a rarity these days and needs to be acknowledged when provided” S.G. Edginton
“It was a most impressive performance by all concerned and a great tribute to you personally” D. Hall